Our History

Heartland Café was started in 1986 at 940 2nd Ave NW. Calgary.

 

For over 26 years Heartland Café has served the public with creative signature dishes and innovative creations. Our menu is a fresh interpretation of traditional, healthy, & flavorful recipes derived from whole food cooking, created with high-quality ingredients without additives or preservatives. The selection of wine, beer and beverages compliment the wide array of robust dishes that change seasonally to reflect market

availability. Heartland Café is owned and managed by Ronald Swartz and Beverly Pell

website: www.heartlandcafe.ca

email: social@heartlandcafe.ca

 

 

1902-1928

The building was built on the site where it is now, but, was at the back of the lot. It was built in 1902 by The Baptist Church.

 

1928-1939

The building stood vacant.

 

1939-1957

The building was purchased by Helmer Jacobsen for $500, he was a layman, who started The Gospel Chapel. He was also the Manager of the Lumber Yard, and the District Court Judge.

 

1939-1969 

The house next door was the Redfern Residence, which was the Town Barber Shop. It then became the Jacobson Hall and was used for the Sunday School. At this time, the 2 steel rods were put in to better support the building. The interior had oak pews, a staged pulpit, and an Organ/piano. The stage area was also the Baptistery. The original floors, were theater style, sloping forward from the front. You can still

see the outline of the pews on the east and west wainscoting walls. During the war, many Young Okotoks Men going to war, were photographed on the front steps of the Church, because that was where the Bus stopped.

 

1957-1995

The building was run by the Evangelical Free Church.

 

1969

The church was moved on to a new foundation at the front of the lot, where It now stands.

 

1988

The bell from the tower, was sent to The Foothills Bible Camp, and the tower entrance was removed, a new entrance was erected at that time. The sloping floors were left intact under the new leveled soft wood spruce floor as you see them today.

 

1996

The new Evangelical Free Church was built at its new location.

 

1997-2004

Carol Bowker purchased the old Church Building and opened the Bowker &

Scudds Garden Shop. The old Jacobson small house was removed. And the Divine/Eagle Building was erected.

 

2005-2009

Cheryl McMahon operated the very popular Old Country Store.

 

 

2009

Feb. Ron Swartz and Beverly Pell purchased the building . At that time , the Town of Okotoks grandfathered the building allowing them to build and fit out the newest Heartland café. Under the clause nothing could be altered or changed Structurally. As a result, the historic nature of the building would be preserved.

 

2009

Sept. The newest and third Heartland Café opened its doors.

HOURS: 

Sunday: 11am - 3pm

Monday: closed

Tues - Sat: 11am - 9pm​

* note from 3-4pm we will be transitioning from lunch to dinner menu, only drinks and cake can be served. 

46 McRae Street,

Okotoks, Alberta T1S1B2

 

Tel: 403-995-4623

 Email: info@heartlandcafe.ca

 

©Heartland Cafe & Restaurant  Proudly created with AwedityCreative